Friday, March 1, 2013

Send Someone Other Than Me


Years ago as a young adult, a missionary from Africa came and spoke at our church.  My heart was stirred as I heard of the love he had for the people and the numbers that were coming to know the Lord.  I also remember leaving church that day praying and asking God to send someone other than me to Africa.  That prayer has haunted me for years as I saw myself unwilling to serve God in whatever capacity He desired.  I now appreciate how He understood my prayer and had so much more for me.

I am much older now, but God and I have not forgotten that prayer of so many years ago.  Instead of chastising me for my unwillingness, God chose to bless me through the very thing I was unwilling to trust Him in.  He didn't physically send me to Africa - He did it spiritually!  What a wonderful and gracious God we serve!  


A few years ago my daughter and son-in-law, Darci and Sam, had their first opportunity to visit Otino Waa on a mission's trip.  Since then my heart and life have been changed by the stories they have shared about their time with the children in Africa.  They tell of the kids' infectious smiles (in spite of the tremendous hardships most of them have endured), their joy and thankfulness in receiving 3 warm meals a day, their enthusiasm singing to the Lord and learning of His unconditional love and their hunger for learning.

Through the eyes of Darci and Sam, I have been able to see that though these precious children have little (from our "western world" viewpoint), they have found true joy - the joy that can only come from our Heavenly Father.  We, in America, think we are so blessed because of all our material "stuff", but in truth it usually gets in the way of worshipping and loving our Lord.


My joy no longer comes from material things; instead it comes from sponsoring these little ones in Africa.  I have now found a way to invest my money in God's kingdom.  Our refrigerator door is filled with smiling faces and heart-felt letters from the kids.  I count it a privilege to get to know each one of them, watching them grow spiritually and intellectually.  They have brought so much joy to my life.  I look forward to one day meeting these little ones face to face in heaven!
S.M. 

No comments:

Post a Comment